Day 2: #atozchallenge
There are as many types of blogs on the internet as names in a baby book. The most common, by far, are personal or niche blogs. These cover a gambit of topics including, healthcare, family, travel, book reviews, writing and cooking (to name a few).
Cow Pasture Chronicles has evolved into a blog mostly about writing, tips and resources, and a place to share my stories and on occasion an opinion piece.
When I began blogging more than three years ago, I knew little to nothing about how to blog. Along the way, however, I’ve picked up a few tips I’d like to share.
- Determine what type of blog you want – personal, business, or niche (a themed blog).
- What’s the main topic?
- What do you want to be known for in the blogging community? Expert, Reviewer, Personal blogger, or reporter?
- Choose the 3-4 main topics you plan to blog about.
- Research the best platform for your blog. WordPress, Blogger (Google’s), and tumbler are some of the most popular.
- Research your top competitors. What do you like about their blogs?
- Decide how much time and effort you want to put into your blog. Do you want to write content weekly, daily or whenever?
- Select the name of your blog carefully. Consider what your blog is about, who your target audience is, and whether you want to make it into a brand. You can read more about selecting a name here. How To Come Up With A Blog Name: 10 Effective Ways To Choose a Name For Your New Blog from Successful Blogging
Want to know more about starting a blog – check out these articles. Blogpress has an excellent post, 3 Quick Tips To Start A Blog The RIGHT Way, and of course, WordPress support is my go-to resource. There you will find video tutorials on just about everything.
It’s by no means all the things you need to know. Developing your blog is an ongoing process of learning, but I hope this will help.
How long have you been blogging? What type of blog do you have and how did you come up with the name?