First up, a question from a recent Twitter chat. “What are hashtags and how do I use them? ”
“The # symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages.”
How to #Hashtags:
- Anyone can use a hashtag.
- Place the # before a keyword (without spaces) to help categorize Tweets; examples include (#writingcontest, #flashfiction).
- To find trending topics and those talking about it, search by the #keyword.
- Can be placed anywhere in a Tweet and as a keyword in a blog post.
- Use, clear, memorable, and common hashtags (those universally understood).
Advantages of Using Hashtags:
- Lead to connections.
- A search by #hashtag will help locate everyone who is talking about the topic.
- Link’s you to social networks.
- Increases traffic to your social sites and blog.
- Can help you develop your own brand (#cowpasturechronicles).
- People will notice you or your business.
- Don’t spam.
- Don’t overuse hashtags, your message will be lost.
- Twitter recommends no more than two hashtags per Tweet.
- Make sure the hashtags you’re using are relevant and on topic.
There you have it, the run down on #hashtags. I hope I answered your questions, but if not, shoot me a note. Have another burning question? Submit it below in the comments.