There is less Christmas joy in the air, this week. The merry season is forever tainted. Our nation is still reeling from the tragedy that unfolded, two days ago, in Newton Connecticut. We can’t wrap our heads around the insanity of such an act against innocent children. That it happened so close to Christmas, a time families cherish with their children, only adds to the horror. And, we are all left asking “Why?”
The truth is, there is no “why.” There is no “one” explanation for why bad things happen to good people. I wish there were, and then we could stop it, eradicate it.
But, the politicians and lobbyists shouldn’t try to answer that question for these families by promoting their own agenda’s. They should leave them alone.
There may come a time when one or more of the families choose to take up a cause in the name of their child, but that should be, must be, their choice, not a choice driven by the media or politics.
This is not about gun control, violence in Hollywood, the music industry and their influence, or how inept our nation is at helping the mentally ill. These issues are important and worth discussing, but NOT NOW.
This is about 26 innocent victims, 20 of them children killed less than two weeks before Christmas. For those families and surviving siblings, Christmas will never be the same. For journalists and politicians to exploit these grieving families to further their own agendas, is but another tragedy.
It is up to us, society, and to those close to the families to help them as best we can by offering our prayers, words of comfort, and help protect them from opportunistic journalists and politicians. Tell them to let these families grieve in peace.
To the families of Newton Connecticut, you are in my prayers.
- 10 Days til Christmas… (poolsidemusings.wordpress.com)
- State, nation, world grieve with Newtown|People find different ways to cope with unspeakable tragedy (rep-am.com)
- Why We Can Have Christmas Cheer Amidst Loss (rachelduke.com)
- Morgan Freeman Blames “Sensationalist Media” for Connecticut Shooting, Coverage of National Tragedies (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Does the US need stricter gun control laws? – Inside Story Americas – Al Jazeera English (kzawadzki88.wordpress.com)
- Vile Opportunist(s) (onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com)
- Gun control debate renewed after tragedy strikes Newtown (kdvr.com)
- Phillipines buries its dead as typhoon Bopha death toll rises (oddonion.com)